A must read for all professional, especially working married women.
I started reading this book in the depth of despair of my own corporate journey. Its been 8 years I am into corporate world and this book really sums up all the relevant emotions and state of difficulty , I have faced so far with a practical approach of solution that I was able to connect with.
The writer manages to strike a fine balance between inspirational and preachy which attempts to clarify many of the myths for women at workplace, especially married women. Mrs. Anuranjita has done a brilliant job by enlightening the importance of 3M’s in a woman’s life – Marriage, Mobility and Maternity. Looking through the lens of her experience provides valuable insight into how grit, courage resilience can help a person reach greater height of his/her career. The book emphasis on the clarity of purpose, conviction, choice, courage, confidence, connect, collaboration, competition and crossing over.
Few of my favorite lines from book are as follows:-
- My fears, my joys, my dreams, my hopes and my longings are what really make me who I am.
- The beauty is that you are always free to choose your purpose, a better future, anytime.
- There are no SUPERWOMEN, so don’t strive to be one! Take a step at a time.
- Let your capability make not just a few live shine but many more. Grab every opportunity to make that difference. And once you have decided to make it big, march on.
- You need to speak up even if the room is full of baritones.
My key takeaways have been:-
- Leverage your strength and stop beating around yourself down on to work you can’t get right.
- In my quest of doing various roles in a male-dominated environment, I have had to be more assertive at times and be less shy of speaking up.
- Learn to negotiate better for yourself.
- It is important that women understand and manage their finances jointly with their partners.
- Join communities of support with men and women being an integral part of it.
- Renew skill sets and self-awareness.
- Enjoy yourself. Fun is core to our existence.
The book gives a lesson about keep going and have it all. Anuranjita’s book beautifully illustrates how women have straddled these different worlds, dream big and yet aspire to have all that their heart desire. Her insightful narrative will compel every reader to come forth with conviction and work fearlessly as they create their own formula for fulfilling life.
May be we can have it all for some time and some of it all the time. All is that which provide happiness to us and it can be only defined by us.